Baltimore Rex is on a relaxed holiday posting schedule until Monday. Here are some stories worth keeping an eye on today.
- It’ll be a mix of sun and clouds today, with the chance for more rain later and highs near 90.
- Baltimore Police officials reveal that several “hold the line” orders were issued to officers during April 27th’s unrest in order to protect officers’ safety, but deny that there was a blanket “stand down” order.
- At least 17 have been shot in the city in the last 48 hours. There have been almost twice as many non-fatal shootings in Baltimore during the first 6 months of 2015 as there were during the same time last year.
- Defense attorneys for the officers charged in the death of Freddie Gray are criticizing State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby for doing magazine photo shoots.
- A commission of community members plus art and history experts will examine what Baltimore should do with its Confederate war memorials.
- It’s July 1st. Several new laws, like lower highway and bridge tolls, changes in the “rain tax”, and permission for bars in Annapolis to serve booze on Election Day, are now in effect.